Malaysia is a Contracting State to the ICSID Convention:
- Signature: 22 October 1965
- Deposit of Ratification: 8 August 1966
- Entry into Force: 14 October 1966
- Pursuant to Article 54(2) of the ICSID Convention, Malaysia has designated “High Court” as competent for the recognition and enforcement of ICSID awards.
- Pursuant to Article 69 of the ICSID Convention, Malaysia enacted the Convention on the Settlement of Investment Disputes Act, 1966 (Act of Parliament 14 of 1966); Notification on entry into force of the Convention on the Settlement of Investment Disputes Act, 1966 (Notification No. 96 of March 10, 1966); Arbitration (Amendment) Act, 1980 (Act A 478 of 1980) to make the Convention effective in their jurisdiction.
- Pursuant to Article 13(1) of the ICSID Convention Malaysia has made the following panel designations effective until 22 July 2014:
- Tan Sri Dato’ Cecil W. M. ABRAHAM: Consultant; Member, International Council for Commercial Arbitration
- Mr. Vinayak P. PRADHANL: Attorney-at-Law; Former Commissioner, United Nations Compensation Commission
- Tan Sri Datuk Amar Steve SHIM Lip Kiong: Consultant; Past Chief Judge of Sabah and Sarawak, Federal Court
- Tan Sri Dato’ Seri Siti Norma YAAKOB: Judge, Dubai International Financial Centre Courts; Past Chief Judge of Malaya, Federal Court
Malaysia is a Contracting State to the New York Convention:
- Date of Accession: 5 November 1985
- Entry into Force: 3 February 1986
- Malaysia will only apply the New York Convention to the recognition and enforcement of awards made in the territory of another contracting state & only to differences arising out of legal relationships, whether contractual or not, that are considered commercial under their national law
In 2005, Malaysia enacted legislation based on the UNCITRAL Model Law on International Commercial Arbitration as adopted in 1985 and is therefore now popularly considered to be an UNCITRAL Model Law State
Malaysia is a not Contracting State to the 1899 Convention for the Pacific Settlement of International Disputes:
Malaysia is a Contracting State to the 1907 Convention for the Pacific Settlement of International Disputes:
- Entry into Force: 6 May 2002
Malaysia is a United Nations Member State:
- Date of Admission: 17 September 1957
- The Federation of Malaya joined the United Nations on 17 September 1957. On 16 September 1963, its name was changed to Malaysia, following the admission to the new federation of Singapore, Sabah (North Borneo) and Sarawak. Singapore became an independent State on 9 August 1965 and a Member of the United Nations on 21 September 1965.
Official State Name: Malaysia
Official Languages: Bahasa Malaysia, English* (*for some purposes)
Capital: Kuala Lumpur
Motto: "Bersekutu Bertambah Mutu" "Unity Is Strength"
Time Zone: MST (UTC+8)
Currency: Ringgit (RM) (MYR)
International Calling Code: +60
Internet TLD: .my