Jamaica is a Contracting State to the ICSID Convention:
- Signature: 23 June 1965
- Deposit of Ratification: 9 September 1966
- Entry into Force: 14 October 1966
- On 8 May 1974, Jamaica notified ICSID that it does not submit to ICSID jurisdiction with respect to a "legal dispute arising directly out of an investment relating to minerals or other natural resources."
- Pursuant to Article 54(2) of the ICSID Convention, Jamaica has designated “Supreme Court” as competent for the recognition and enforcement of ICSID awards.
- Pursuant to Article 69 of the ICSID Convention, Jamaica enacted the Investment Disputes Awards (Enforcement) Act, 1966 (Act 28 of August 29, 1966) (Off. Gaz. XC, 18 February 16, 1967, p. 60); Investment Disputes Awards (Enforcement) Act, 1966 (Appointed Day) Notice (Notice No. 45 of February 7, 1967) (Off. Gaz. XC, 18 February 16, 1967, p. 60); Bauxite (Production Levy) Act, 1974 (Act 19 of 1974) to make the Convention effective in their jurisdiction.
- Pursuant to Article 13(1) of the ICSID Convention Jamaica has made the following panel designations effective until 10 August 2010:
- Mr. Christopher BOVELL: Attorney-at-Law
- Dr. Jean DIXON: Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Commerce, Science and Technology
- Mr. B. St. Michael HYLTON: Solicitor General, Attorney General’s Chambers
- Judge Patrick L. ROBINSON: Member, International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia
- Mr. Stephen SHELTON: Attorney-at-Law
- Prof. Stephen VASCIANNIE: Senior Consultant, Attorney General’s Chamber
Jamaica is a Contracting State to the New York Convention:
- Date of Accession: 10 July 2002
- Entry into Force: 8 October 2002
- Jamaica will only apply the New York Convention to the recognition and enforcement of awards made in the territory of another contracting state & only to differences arising out of legal relationships, whether contractual or not, that are considered commercial under their national law
Jamaica is not a Contracting State to the 1899 Convention for the Pacific Settlement of International Disputes:
Jamaica is not a Contracting State to the 1907 Convention for the Pacific Settlement of International Disputes:
Jamaica is a United Nations Member State:
- Date of Admission: 18 September 1962
Official State Name: Jamaica
Official Language: English
Recognised Regional Language: Jamaican Patois
Motto: "Out of Many, One People"
Currency: Jamaican dollar (
Time Zone: (UTC-5)
International Calling Code: +1-876
Internet TLD: .jm
Travel Website: www.visitjamaica.com