Egypt is a Contracting State to the ICSID Convention:
- Signature: 11 February 1972
- Deposit of Ratification: 3 May 1972
- Entry into Force: 2 June 1972
- Pursuant to Article 54(2) of the ICSID Convention, Egypt has designated “Arab Republic of Ministry of Justice” as competent for the recognition and enforcement of ICSID awards.
- Pursuant to Article 69 of the ICSID Convention, Egypt enacted Decree-Law No. 90 of November 7, 1971, approving the accession of the Arab Republic of Egypt to the International Convention (Off. Gaz. November 11, 1971) to make the Convention effective in their jurisdiction.
- Pursuant to Article 13(1) of the ICSID Convention Egypt has made the following panel designations effective until 30 January 2012:
- Dr. Ahmed Esmat ABDEL MEGUID: Former Secretary General, League of Arab States
- Judge Nabil ELARABY: Former Member, International Court of Justice
- Dr. Mahmoud Samir EL-SHARQAWY: Former Dean of the Faculty of Laws, Cairo University
Egypt is a Contracting State to the New York Convention:
- Date of Accession: 9 March 1959
- Entry into Force: 7 June 1959
In 1994, Egypt enacted legislation based on the UNCITRAL Model Law on International Commercial Arbitration as adopted in 1985 and is therefore now popularly considered to be an UNCITRAL Model Law State
Egypt is not a Contracting State to the 1899 Convention for the Pacific Settlement of International Disputes:
Egypt is a Contracting State to the 1907 Convention for the Pacific Settlement of International Disputes:
- Entry into Force: 4 November 1968
Egypt is a United Nations Member State:
- Date of Admission: 24 October 1945
- Egypt and Syria were original Members of the United Nations from 24 October 1945.
Following a plebiscite on 21 February 1958, the United Arab Republic was established by a union of Egypt and Syria and continued as a single Member. On 13 October 1961, Syria, having resumed its status as an independent State, resumed its separate membership in the United Nations. On 2 September 1971, the United Arab Republic changed its name to the Arab Republic of Egypt.
Official State Name: Arab Republic of Egypt - Ǧumhūriyyat Miṣr al-ʿArabiyyah - جمهورية مصر العربية
Official Language: Arabic
Currency: Egyptian pound (
Time Zone: (UTC+2 (No DST Since 2011))
International Calling Code: +20
Internet TLD: .eg